With no rhyme or reason, some individuals remain unaffected by wisdom teeth, while others develop painful conditions that warrant their immediate removal, as noted by Very Well Health. In any case, it’s understandable to feel nervous when preparing for wisdom teeth removal. That’s why the team at Pure Smiles Dentistry makes every effort to educate patients about how to prepare and what to expect. Most importantly, we help patients feel at ease with compassionate and trusted care.
Why Are Wisdom Teeth Removed?
As with most oral health conditions, there are many reasons why wisdom teeth removal becomes necessary. Consider the following:
- When wisdom teeth are emerging into an abnormal position (tilted, sideways or twisted), it is usually best to remove them.
- When wisdom teeth become trapped below the gum line because there is not enough space for them to erupt, they are typically removed.
- If an infection has developed because of trapped food, plaque or bacteria (pericoronitis), it is best to remove wisdom teeth.
- If wisdom teeth begin to change an individual’s bite, leading to misalignment of the jaws, they must be removed.
- When wisdom teeth have erupted, yet become decayed because they are difficult to clean, it is probably best to remove them.
Interestingly, in most cases, wisdom teeth are healthy when they are removed. The decision to remove them is based on other factors, such as the impact they have on a patient’s oral health. For example, if a patient has completed orthodontic treatment, wisdom teeth could jeopardize the alignment of other teeth as they erupt. What’s more, they could add painful pressure to adjacent teeth as well as the jaw.
Wisdom Teeth Removal – It Doesn’t Have To Be Stressful
While no one wants to have their teeth surgically removed, Pure Smiles Dentistry is here to assure patients that wisdom teeth removal doesn’t have to be a stressful procedure. To speak with our dedicated team regarding your wisdom teeth, call us today. You’ll be glad that you did.
Posted on behalf of
2655 Dallas Hwy #510
Marietta, GA 30064
Phone: (770) 422-8776
FAX: (770) 428-2207
Mon, Wed: 7AM – 7PM
Tue, Thu, Fri: 7AM – 4PM
Sat: 8AM – 3PM, twice a month